Peter Williams, who cycled 211 miles from Bristol Children’s Hospital to Land’s End on a pink child’s bike, won this year’s JustGiving Creative Fundraiser of the Year Award.
Williams was one of 24 finalists for this year’s JustGiving Awards, which received the record number of 50,000 public nominations, with the Awards ceremony taking place on 22 October. He took on the challenge in memory of his daughter Ellie who had loved cycling before losing her battle against cancer, raising over £52,000 for The Brain Tumour Charity.
This was the 10th year of the awards, which celebrate outstanding individuals, charities and teams who have raised money with JustGiving over the past year.
Other winners include Shane Yerrell, who received the Special Recognition Award for his response to falling victim to a knife attack, and Alex Macpherson who won Young Fundraiser of the Year.
Having decided to support others going through their own traumatic or difficult situations, Yerrell’s fundraising has seen him run over 22 JustGiving pages, organise crowdfunding campaigns and take on fundraising challenges, to date raising over £40,000, with each page supporting a different person, family or charity.
Alex Macpherson was recognised for defying what his doctors thought would be medically possible by walking a full 50 metres at the Rainbow Ramble Challenge. Alex and his family became involved with Rainbow House’s conductive education when he was just two years old as he has grade five quadriplegic mixed cerebral palsy.
Despite struggling with eating, standing and having had numerous emergency surgeries, Alex put all of his hard work into practice by exceeding his walking target of 15 meters by an extra 35 meters, raising over £3,500 for Rainbow House.
The winners in full:
- Endurance Fundraiser of the Year: Mavis Paterson
- Celebrity Fundraiser of the Year: Bowel Babe Deborah James
- Young Fundraiser of the Year: Alex Macpherson
- Change Maker of the Year: Sarah Lamptey
- Creative Fundraiser of the Year: Peter Williams
- Charity of the Year: Derian House Children’s Hospice
- Fundraising Team of the Year: The 3 Peaks Blind Team
- Outstanding Commitment: Katherine Tansey
- Special Recognition Award: Shane Yerrell
More on JustGiving
- JustGiving launches free donation processing service (14 April 2021)
- JustGiving Awards open for nominations (8 May 2019)
- JustGiving offers 10 fundraising conference bursaries to small charities (2 February 2018)