Fundraising news, ideas and inspiration for professional charity fundraisers

Ahoy there me hearties! Pirate impressions raise pounds for charity

Ahoy there me hearties! Pirate impressions raise pounds for charity

With International Talk Like a Pirate Day taking place this Wednesday (19 September), online casino site bgo.com is pledging to donate £5 to charity for every entry submitted in a competition to find the best pirate impersonator.

The competition, Pirate Factor, is a parody of the X Factor and has been launched to celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day. It aims to find the UK’s best pirate impersonator, a person that knows their ‘aarrrs’ from their ‘yo ho hos’ for the chance to raise money for charity, win a pirate hat and the glory of being the UK’s best pirate.

Those wishing to enter must submit a voice clip of their best pirate impression to Pirate Factor, where there is also an option to include a photo of themselves in their pirate gear. Clips are uploaded for all to listen to, with a public vote for the best impersonation.

In support of the day and the competition, bgo.com has pledged to donate £5 per entry submitted to the website, up to £5,000, with 80% of the donations going to the competition winner’s charity of choice, and the remaining 20% to GamCare.

International Talk Like a Pirate Day was invented by John Baur and Mark Summers in 1995. The official International Talk Like a Pirate Day page now has over 134,000 likes on Facebook, while according to a recent survey conducted by bgo over a third (36%) of people asked said they will be celebrating the day.

Historian and authority on pirates, Angus Konstam said:

“International Talk Like a Pirate day is a success because it taps into all the things that make pirates so appealing to us all, regardless of our age. Forget the realities of historical piracy for a minute – this is all about celebrating their sense of adventure, their rebellious nature and their freedom from authority. Add in a heady mixture of fictional pirates, with their eye patches, wooden legs, parrots and strange ways of talking and you’ve got a celebration just about anyone can have fun with.”

Melanie May is a journalist and copywriter specialising in writing both for and about the charity and marketing services sectors since 2001. She can be reached via www.thepurplepim.com.

Get free email updates

Keep up to date with fundraising news, ideas and inspiration with a weekly or daily email. [Privacy]

* We do not share your email or personal details.

Before you go…

Let us keep you up to date with fundraising news, ideas and inspiration with a weekly or daily email. [Privacy policy]
" />