Kent Opera, a registered charity, is auctioning a performance of Verdi’s opera Otello to charities and private individuals as part of a fundraising campaign for a community project.
Pop-up opera company Kent Opera will perform the opera to the winning bidder almost anywhere, “within reason”. This could be a church hall, office building or even someone’s house.
The winning charity can of course then use the performance as a fundraising event for themselves.
Robin Pietà, Director of Productions for Kent Opera, said: “When we set out to launch this auction, we soon realised it could also be used by other charities for their own fundraising. Whoever the winner is, they can host a play wherever they want – and charge an audience however much they wish and keep all the proceeds for their own cause.”
Want to bid?
The criteria for bidding is as follows:
• The auction opens on Monday 1 May 2017 and closes on 31 May 2017
• All bids are considered binding and should be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
• In addition to the amount bid, bidders should include: full name, address, where they would like to hold the performance, and why they want the performance
• The winning bid must exceed the costs of production (£1,250) plus travel for the artists involved
• Anyone can bid within a 150 mile radius of London – or further if they are willing to cover the costs of accommodation for the cast and crew
• The cast need no more than 4m squared to perform
• Performance is available from 27 May 2017
• Kent Opera need a minimum of 7 days’ notice to perform
Kent Opera’s fundraising
The auction is being held to support the charity’s ‘Pros and Cons’ programme, where they will perform the Othello story and run a workshop using a combination of professional artists and members of the population of Her Majesty’s Prison (HMP) Swaleside in Kent, later this year.
WATCH: The Community of Opera Vlog 5
- For a similar musical opportunity see the Brandenburg Choral Festival which offers small charities the chance to raise funds by selling tickets to its concerts.
Get free email updates
Keep up to date with fundraising news, ideas and inspiration with a weekly or daily email. [Privacy]