Online charity shopping site Easyfundraising has now raised £10 million for thousands of good causes across the UK.
The site, founded in 2005, now has over 800,000 users who shop online from several thousand retailers who pass on a percentage of the value of the sales generated. Easyfundraising then splits this with the charity or good cause that the shopper has chosen.
Based on our recent purchases, an online shop from Sainsbury’s for example generates a 50p donation to charity. A train journey from Essex to West Sussex raised 38p.
The donations are free to the shopper, who does not pay any extra. The retailer makes the payment, part of which Easyfundraising passes on as a donation.
10 tips to raise more
Easyfundraising marked the milestone by sharing 10 tips for raising more via the site. These include:
1. Travel (including accommodation, care hire and insurance)
2. Using the site’s Donation Reminder toolbar (which highlights when you visit a participating retailer’s website)
3. Insurance – we all need to renew from time to time, and it can be a high price purchase
4. Business – channel your business purchases through the site as these tend to be higher than individuals’ shopping totals
The site’s growth has come in the last few years. Here are its recent milestone totals:
1. Raised £5m by July 2013
2. Raised £4m by November 2012
3. Raised £3m by January 2012
4. Raised £2m by February 2011
5. Raised £500,000 by November 2008
6. Raised £50,000 by March 2007
Get free email updates
Keep up to date with fundraising news, ideas and inspiration with a weekly or daily email. [Privacy]