More stores join price comparison site that supports charities

Howard Lake | 1 November 2004 | News

Currys, John Lewis, WH Smith, Littlewoods, M&S and other leading retailers have now partnered with GiveAsYouGet, the Web-based price comparison shop that generates income for its chosen charity.

There are several UK charity online shopping malls such as UshopUgive.com and buy.at, but there seems to be only one price comparison site that donates a percentage of its income to charities.

GiveAsYouGet helps shoppers find the products they want at the cheapest prices on the Web by checking over 240 stores. Unlike similar services such as Kelkoo, every sale via GiveAsYouGet generates a charity donation at no extra cost to the user. This donation is the commission GiveAsYouGet receives for generating sales for the merchants listed on the site, and can be anything from 2% to 20% of the order value.

In the run-up to Christmas, GiveAsYouGet is passing these donations to VSO, the international development charity. The next beneficiary will be the World Development Movement.

Jonny Platt, a student of Development Studies at Sussex University, who launched the site in October 2003, explains that 92% of the advertising revenue received is donated to charity each quarter, with a different charity benefiting each quarter. The remaining 8% funds the site’s running costs.

He presented the site’s first donation of £1,200 to Marie Stopes International in February 2004.

 19 total views,  1 views today