Disabled children’s charity Whizz-Kidz has secured £100,000 in funding from players of People’s Postcode Lottery – to provide disabled children and young people with vital mobility equipment, opportunities to meet and have fun, and training to help them gain skills and look forward to a bright future.
Ruth Owen OBE, Chief Executive of Whizz-Kidz, said: ‘We would like to thank players of People’s Postcode Lottery enormously for helping us provide mobility equipment and life skills to of disabled children across the UK.
‘We estimate there are 70,000 disabled children and young people who are missing out on their childhoods because of inappropriate equipment, and a lack of opportunities to join in. This vital support from players of People’s Postcode Lottery will help us give these children the chance of a bright future – through life-transforming wheelchairs, skills training and essential work opportunities.’
Hazel Johnstone, Trusts Manager at People’s Postcode Lottery, added: ‘Whizz-Kidz truly changes the lives of thousands of disabled children, and their families, across the UK. We are incredibly proud that funding from players of People’s Postcode Lottery will enable this fantastic organisation to reach out to so many more young people who really need their support.”
In 2013 Whizz-Kidz supported around 4,000 young people with the right wheelchairs and life skills to fit their young lives. However, it estimates there are over 70,000 young disabled people around the UK who lack the right mobility equipment for them, and are missing out the chance of a childhood and a bright future.
Notes to Editors
- Whizz-Kidz has changed the lives of over 16,000 disabled children since 1990 – often literally overnight. The charity estimates there are still over 70,000 children in the UK waiting for the right equipment to fit their young lives.
- The right wheelchair and mobility equipment is not automatically provided on the NHS. Whizz-Kidz aims to work where possible with local NHS services, and aims to ensure that much-needed improvements are made in delivering wheelchair services for children in the UK.
About People’s Postcode Lottery
- People’s Postcode Lottery is a charity lottery. Players play with their postcodes to win cash prizes while raising money for charities and good causes local to them.
- People’s Postcode Lottery is an External Lottery Manager and manages multiple society lotteries promoted by different causes supporting a range of good causes. For details on which society lottery is running each week, visit www.postcodelottery.co.uk/
- Postcode Lottery Limited is regulated by the Gambling Commission under certificate nr 829-N-102511-007 and 829-R-102513-007, dated 06 November 2012. Registered office: Titchfield House, 69/85 Tabernacle Street, London, EC2A 4RR.
- People’s Postcode Lottery players support the following Trusts – Postcode Green Trust, Postcode Care Trust, Postcode Culture Trust, Postcode Animal Trust, Postcode Heroes Trust, Postcode Global Trust and People’s Postcode Trust. These Trusts are funded entirely by players and support a variety of charities. For further information on each charity, visit: www.postcodelottery.co.uk/
- 50p from every £2 ticket goes to good causes and players have raised over £35.6 Million for good causes across the country.
- There are five draws a month with prizes every day and each ticket costs £2 – paid monthly in advance by direct debit. For further prize information, visit: www.postcodelottery.co.uk/
8,592 total views, 0 views today
Get free email updates
let us keep you up to date with fundraising news, ideas and inspiration with a weekly or daily email.