Concern Worldwide exceeded its fundraising target for Haiti by €3.8 million last year, according to the charity. It initially set a target of €5 million following the earthquake in January 2010 but this was exceeded by €3.8 million. Concern said they were not planning to run another fundraising campaign for Haiti.
‘‘We are not setting out to raise more money, apart from planned giving from donors. Irish people have been so generous,” Concern regional director Brid Kennedy told the Sunday Business Post.
According to the newspaper, almost €30 million in funds raised in Ireland by charities following the Haiti earthquake last year will continue to be invested there over the coming years.
Irish charities have also raised significant sums through their international arms, and have received contracts or funding from the EU and UN to provide health programmes, shelter and other aid in Haiti.
Concern started work in Haiti in 1994, and since then it has raised nearly €34 million for the country. The charity also says it will be drawing down €11 million in funding for Haiti from the EU.
Trocaire, which received €5 million of its €8 million in fundraising through parish collections, is spending this on a five-year recovery programme in education, health and housing in Haiti.