Fundraising news, ideas and inspiration for professional charity fundraisers

USA-incorporated International School Fundraising in the UK

Posted on 4 December 2007 at 7:21 pm
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Posted in: Law
  • Anonymous
    4 December 2007 at 7:21 pm #3028

    Hello all,

    I am fundraising for an American school in Turkey. Nearly all the students and alumni are Turkish. The school is incorporated in the USA. Alumni live mostly in Turkey, USA, and the UK.

    Recently the number of alumni in the UK have increased and they are asking if they can make tax-efficient contributions from the UK. Is this possible, and if not, how can we enable them to make tax-efficent contributions from the Uk, and will the costs of doing so be too high.

    Second question is, some corporations’ UK headquarters refuse to grant corporate matching gifts. Is it possible to allow matching gifts from these corporations?

    5 December 2007 at 8:49 am #10103

    You would need to register as a charity in the UK to be able to reclaim Gift Aid on donations (see for explanation).

    I believe Charities Aid Foundation can do this on your behalf – if not, then certainly there is an organisation out there somewhere that can. Our US office had a sales pitch from them for ‘the other way around’ which was slightly redundant (if the organisation had done their research they would have realised that we already have US and UK registered charities!) Google might find them. Commission is, of course, payable, but unless you are talking about significant amounts of money from your UK-based alumni, it would probably be more cost-efficient to go this route.

    This might also help with raising match donations from corporates – they won’t do it if there is no tax advantage. Usually best for your donor/employee-of-the-corporate to make the approach – the relationship is already there.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

" />